The vow of the will-be mayor Vitalii Klitschko to clear Khreschatyk Street from protester’s tents to enable traffic in Kyiv had provoked Maidan civil communities to create and sign a Manifesto on the development of Maidan.
Manifesto from the Maidan Civil Communities regarding the development of the Maidan following May 2014
We, the organizations, that not only physically reside on the Maidan, but also those that wish to preserve its spirit and the spirit of the changes it ignited in Ukraine, understand that the physical Maidan space is currently in the state that is not always respectful of the legacy of the people who gave their lives for the cause. The start of the “unannounced war” and the lead up to presidential elections have diverted the resources and enthusiasm of Ukrainian activists beyond the physical space of the Maidan.
Instead of voicing criticisms towards the Maidan and their desire to get rid of it (something that will never happen), we call upon politicians, diplomats and other government officials to join us in developing a Ukrainian memorial space.
Because of this, we would like to announce that:
- Maidan is a political entity and is a guarantor of the Ukrainian constitution;
- Maidan is a system of civil control over the government;
- There needs to be a dialogue between Maidan and the government, a discussion that should also include citizens of Kyiv;
- We would like to reform the Maidan “Sotnias” into a municipal police force;
Maidan will not disperse until its demands are met:
- Punishment of criminals;
- Government reform;
- Integrating the role of the civil society into the Ukrainian Constitution;
- Punishment of those responsible for deaths and torture of activists;
- Creating a self-governing territorial community in Kyiv;
Regarding Maidan’s physical space:
- Maidan must remain, but it requires changes in its structure and architecture. The new aesthetics should be determined through a community contest (architectural designs as to the Maidan’s future);
- The Maidan must be preserved within the space of the original barricades (1-4) until its transformation into a center for civil community development;
- The visual aesthetic of the Maidan must be upheld and remain until the establishment of a new space, which will be safe for the civil community and serve as a reminder to politicians of the power of the Maidan;
- Areas of the Maidan must remain a pedestrian space;
- Maidan is a center for the inception of civil initiatives and their development. It is important to create a space that facilitates the development of such initiatives;
- Civil hearings must be held in regards to the future of the Kyiv City Hall;
- Transform the Trade Union House into a civil community center;
- With the purpose of uniting Ukraine and facilitating dialogue between provinces, we propose installing the necessary conditions for creating video bridges across city squares in major cities.
Politicians were not the ones to start the Maidan, and they will not be ones to disperse it!
Organizations that took part in creating this Manifesto:
CSO “New Country”, Maidan Lustration Committee, Central Parliament of the Maidan Sotnyas, 4th Sotnya, 14 Kolmoyiska Sotnya, 28 Self-Defense Sotnya, 33rd Sotnya, Zhytomyr Sotnya, Commandant Sotnya, Crimean Sotnya, CSO “Combat Sotnya”, “White Hammer”, Afghan War Veterans of the Maidan, “Organization of Veterans of Ukrainian Marine Forces”, “Media city”, Chervonograd Sotnya, CSO “Action Generation”, representative priest of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Ivano-Frankivsk Metropolitan Church, representative priest of the Apostol Orthodox Church, representative of the “Holy Mountain” monastery, “Automaidan”, Civil Parliament of the Maidan, Coordination-Parliament of the Maidan, Parliament of the Maidan, “Open University of the Maidan”, Central Parliament of the Maidan Sotnyas, Civil Watch, Anti-Corruption Maidan Committee, Euromaidan PR, IT-tent, “Tribunal Proceedings”, ataman of the Ukrainian-Cossack Army, Cossack Parliament of the Maidan, CSO “Auto Watch”, Working Group of the Municipal Police Force, World Ukrainian Congress, Parliament of Civil Initiatives, “Reanimational Reform Packet”, CSO “Clear Sky”, representative of the 2nd Sotnya, “Search Initiative”, “Anticor”, CSO “Vradievka Walk”
Khreschatyk Street. 7/11, 2nd floor
096 929 3990; 050 190 3330
EuromaidanPR is a public initiative that, in line with the spirit of Maidan, provides truthful, reliable and accurate information on developments in Ukraine. If you would like to support our activities you can do so here.
Join EuromaidanPR & stay with us: Web, YouTube, Twitter ENG, Twitter RUS, Facebook ENG, Facebook DE, Facebook IT, Instagram: euromaidan_pr