Sunday, 1 June 2014 from 2.00 pm: Ukrainians in London protested against the government deal that will see France supply Russia with two Mistral warships, and President Hollande’s invitation to his counterpart President Putin to attend the D-Day commemorations.
As the situation in Ukraine continues to deteriorate, Ukrainians in London sent a message to the world that they will not tolerate guarantors of their sovereignty actively supporting Russia’s imperialistic aggression against Ukraine.
France as a member state of NATO will supply Russia with two Mistral warships. At a time when the World has condemned Russian aggression and imposed sanctions against the regime, France stands out as actively supporting Russia’s fascist regime. These warships will be docked in the illegally annexed Crimean peninsula and will not only be used against Ukraine but also against former Soviet member states who are now full members of NATO, ie. Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland. This confirms Russia’s imperialist intentions and will aid Russia in its mission to further destabilise the whole European continent.
NATO member states in the Baltics have grave concerns over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and are calling for military reinforcements and more air presence to deter Russia. This week a group of US Congressmen has already written to NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen proposing that Paris be persuaded to sever the deal and called on France to reconsider the sale and instead allow NATO to buy or lease these helicopter carrier ships.
Moreover, President Francois Hollande has invited President Vladimir Putin to participate in the commemoration of D-Day on June 6th, as well as hosting him and other international leaders for a private dinner the evening prior in Paris, on June 5th. It is argued that Russia suffered heavy losses during the Second World War, when in fact an extremely large proportion of the Soviet army were Ukrainians, and the largest losses on the Eastern front were suffered by Ukrainians. In actual fact, it was Ukrainian units under the command of a Ukrainian general who were the first to enter Berlin.
President Putin is a fascist leader and should not be welcomed, but should indeed be politically and economically isolated.
Stefan Ciapryna a spokesperson for Ukrainian protest group London Euromaidan says “President Francois Hollande is acting hypocritically by refusing to stop the sale of these warships to Russia, in the full knowledge these can be used against the West and France itself. The French Foreign Ministry claims this deal cannot be broken, whereas Russia by invading Ukraine has already broken all international laws. Trading with a fascist regime and it’s dictator in unacceptable. By inviting President Putin to the D-Day commemorations, President Hollande has ignored the millions of Ukrainian casualties and deaths during the Second World War. He is thereby supporting a fascist and expansionist dictator when he should in fact be leading by example and isolating him.”
London Euromaidan activists demand:
– Apply forceful diplomatic pressure to stop France from delivering the Mistral warships to Russia and urge NATO to buy these ships
– Francois Hollande retracts his invitation to President Vladmir Putin for the D-Day commemoration as a move that Russia will not be accepted if it continues to breach international law by funding terrorism
– An end to Russian interference in Ukrainian affairs and withdrawal of all Russian and other Russian-funded foreign soldiers in Ukraine
– Full economic isolation of Russia including ‘Iran-style’ sanctions as Russia is a state that sponsors terrorism
– Political and economic isolation of President Vladimir Putin due to his attempts to resurrect the former Soviet Union and imperialistic expansionism at any cost
– US, UK and France to uphold its commitments to the Budapest Memorandum in which they promised to uphold the territorial integrity of Ukraine
For more information or to arrange interviews please contact London spokespersons: Stefan 07402404110 Email: email@example.com
– Event information: https://www.facebook.com/events/510478282410997/?fref=ts
– Time and Venue: Sunday 1 June 2014, French Embassy, 58 Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 7JT
– The Ukrainian community formed a group called London EuroMaidan who have been one of the most vocal and visible diaspora communities throughout the events, holding continuous protests since November. To date they have organised over 150 protests
– A 24-hour vigil has been taking place on Whitehall opposite Downing Street for already 3 months.
- Website: www.saveukraine.co.uk
- Twitter @londonmaidan
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/london.maidan
EuromaidanPR is a public initiative that, in line with the spirit of Maidan, provides truthful, reliable and accurate information on developments in Ukraine. If you would like to support our activities you can do so here.
Join EuromaidanPR & stay with us: Web, YouTube, Twitter ENG, Twitter RUS, Facebook ENG, Facebook DE, Facebook IT, Instagram: euromaidan_pr