Ukraine will sue the Russian Federation for more than UAH 1 trillion for the illegal seizure and robbery of Ukraine, Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk said in the Verkhovna Rada on Tuesday, June 3, reports Ukrainska Pravda.
Answering questions from deputies, Yatsenyuk spoke of the challenging legal process. “The problems lie with the international legal framework, he said. “There are not that many options where we can take this issue to court. But, without revealing all the legal details, we will use all possible legal means to bring the Russian Federation to court, ” he said.
According to Yatsenyuk, Ukraine has already filed two complaints with the European Court of Human Rights that are directly related to the annexation of Crimea and the responsibility of the Russian Federation to Ukraine.
“We are preparing additional claims, including those with state and government institutions in Russia regarding the illegal seizure and robbery of Ukraine. They will have to answer for that. We realize that these types of trials do not take place in a month, but these trials will have results,” he said.
As previously reported, the Justice Minister Pavlo Petrenko said that Ukraine’s total loss from the annexation of Crimea is already at 17 volumes and more than UAH 1 trillion.
“As of today, the amount of the loss is at UAH 1 trillion 80 billion. As a result of the restrictions on the use of structures, property and minerals, this sum will continue to grow,” he said.
EuromaidanPR is a public initiative that, in line with the spirit of Maidan, provides truthful, reliable and accurate information on developments in Ukraine. If you would like to support our activities you can do so here.
Join EuromaidanPR & stay with us: Web, YouTube, Twitter ENG, Twitter RUS, Facebook ENG, Facebook DE, Facebook IT, Instagram: euromaidan_pr