On June 21, Ukrainian supporters in Kyiv, Lviv, The Hague, Brussels, Toronto, New York, Valensia, Milan, Vilnius, Canberra, London, and Sydney took part in the first global flashmob to protest against Russian aggression in Ukraine.
Euromaidan activists and Ukraine supporters brought funeral wreaths to honor the victims of Russian aggression in Ukraine. According to the press-secretary of the Ministry of Defense Vladislav Seleznev, up to date over 150 military servicemen were killed during the Anti-terrorist operation against Kremlin-backed militants in Eastern Ukraine, and the number is higher taking into account mortalities in the National Guard and border control officers. Over 200 civilians have been killed, including 14 children.
Activists coordinated their protests to bring attention to the fact that despite overwhelming evidence of Russia’s involvement in the violence, with many “foreign fighters” being Russian nationals and terrorists themselves openly acknowledging Russian “support”, the international community has been hesitant to both state about Russia’s involvement and respond accordingly, and is even treating Russia as an interested party at the EU-Ukraine trade agreement.
“How many more deaths will be needed to acknowledge that Russia has started war in Ukraine and Putin must be stopped now?” asked the participants of the protests from the international community.
The activists demand the international community to:
- Urge NATO to buy the two Mistral warships which France is insisting on selling to Russia;
- Demand third-level sanctions now;
- Supply lifesaving equipment including medical equipment and body armor to the Ukrainian Army;
- Stop all cooperation and business that assists Russia’s military and police modernization, armament and expansion;
- End the visa regime with Ukraine as soon as possible;
- Investigate the predatory behavior of Gazprom, most of which violates EU anti-monopoly legislation and WTO rules;
- Apply strict money-laundering controls for all money coming out of Russia and Belarus;
- Revoke the visas of the leading anti-Western and anti-Ukrainian propagandists of Russia’s regime.
Photos and videos:
Kyiv, Ukraine: photos https://www.facebook.com/events/416746808467082/permalink/418996361575460/
Lviv, Ukraine: photos https://www.facebook.com/events/416746808467082/permalink/419105814897848/
New York, USA: Video https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152930770183222
The Haague, Netherlands: Photos https://www.facebook.com/events/416746808467082/permalink/419091834899246/
Valencia, Spain Photos https://www.facebook.com/events/416746808467082/permalink/419164764891953/
Milan, Italy: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=271547833029026&set=gm.419443968197366&type=1
London, Great Britain: video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWHgyejT44&feature=youtu.be
Brussels, Belgium: Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJBZFjBchI&feature=youtu.be
Sydney, Australia Photos https://www.facebook.com/events/416746808467082/permalink/418991518242611/
Toronto, Canada Photos https://www.facebook.com/events/416746808467082/permalink/419118348229928/
Vilnius, Lithuania: Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywFUdiBhu0I
The event’s facebook page.
The press release can be found here.