On Thursday, the corresponding order was signed by Acting President of Ukraine Oleksandr Turchynov, the president’s official website reports.
A statement explained the motivation behind this decision as being, “In connection with the completion of the election campaign, the implementation of the expression of the peoples’ will, and the election of the president, which is a guarantee of the further strengthening in Ukraine of values shared with the European Union, democracy and the rule of law.”
“Given the great importance in establishing the European choice of Ukraine of the peaceful protest movement on Independence Square in November 2013- February 2014, and in order to pay tribute to the fallen participants of the peaceful protests, and in pursuance of the Article 112 of the Constitution of Ukraine, it has been resolved to:
1. Conduct celebratory events on Independence Square in Kyiv on the occasion of the assumption of office by the newly elected president of Ukraine.
2. Establish a working group to ensure the conduction of celebratory events on Independence Square in Kyiv on the occasion of the assumption of office of the newly elected president of Ukraine.
The working group is to be headed by the First Deputy Prime Minister Anatoliy Yarema, and also includes Vitali Klitschko; Culture Minister Yevgeniy Nyschuk; Head of the KSCA (Kyiv City State Administration) Volodymyr Bondarenko; Chief of the Kyiv SBU (Security Service of Ukraine) Yuriy Artyukhov; Head of the Central Office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Kyiv Yuriy Moroz.
3. Mandate the working group to immediately:
1) Prepare and approve the working plan on conducting celebratory events on Independence Square in Kyiv with the participation of the general public, participants of Maidan civil movements, Kyiv residents and guests to celebrate the assumption of the presidency by the newly elected president of Ukraine;
2) Examine the matter and develop measures to normalize the situation at Independence Square and adjacent streets in the city of Kyiv, and to establish other conditions to ensure the proper exercise of functions by the capital city.
Provisions must be made for other activities, in particular to pay tribute to the memory of the fallen participants of the peaceful protests at the Independence Square over the period from November 2013 to February 2014.
On Wednesday, Maidan activists said they would not leave until all of their demands have been met.
Earlier the leader of UDAR party and mayor-elect of Kyiv Vitali Klitschko put out a call to to curtail Maidan and to completely vacate the building of the Kyiv City Council, Kyiv City State Administration.
Translated by Katherina Smirnova; edited by Olena Wawryshyn
EuromaidanPR is a public initiative that, in line with the spirit of Maidan, provides truthful, reliable and accurate information on developments in Ukraine. If you would like to support our activities you can do so here.
Join EuromaidanPR & stay with us: Web, YouTube, Twitter ENG, Twitter RUS, Facebook ENG, Facebook DE, Facebook IT, Instagram: euromaidan_pr